From the kitchen of Janet Cuddigan
Here is a “spook-tacular” recipe for a delicious Halloween treat that is easy to make and devilish good to eat.
Nacho Jack O’Lantern Cheese Ball
• Two 8-ounce packages cream cheese, at room temperature
• 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar
• 3 tablespoons minced onions
• 2 tablespoons of your favorite salsa
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon minced jalapeno (without seeds, unless you want it spicy, then include the seeds)
• A medium sized bag of Doritos, original flavor, crushed
• 1 nice-looking stem of a bell pepper
• Chips or crackers for serving
Put the cream cheese, Cheddar, onions, salsa, cumin and jalapeno into the bowl of a mixer, and blend thoroughly. Form into a pumpkin-like shape, and refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.
Before serving, remove (eat) half the bag of Doritos and crush the remaining Doritos in the bag with a rolling pin. Roll the cheese ball in the crushed Doritos. Arrange the cheese ball on a plate, and press the bell pepper stem into the top. (It should like a mini pumpkin stem.) If you wish, break off pieces black bean chips to create the Jack O’Lantern face. Serve your cheese ball with chips or crackers.