The Department of Veterans Affairs is revamping the sign-in experience for Veterans seeking to access VA.gov, My HealtheVet, VA/DoD eBenefits, and the VA flagship mobile app, among other VA services. The goal is to offer one account with one sign-in that provides a portal to all VA digital products and services and easier access to other government agencies.
The VA received $10.5 million in funding from the Technology Modernization Fund to support the agency’s transition to Login.gov. Login.gov provides a single account to securely access online government services and is already used by agencies including the U.S. Small Business Administration and programs such as USAJobs. The site provides an easy-to-use, U.S. federal government-provided credential that is built with modern security standards to protect your account from hackers.
How to create a Login.gov account
The VA says “creating a Login.gov account is easy:
- Go to VA.gov, select Sign In and choose to create a Login.gov account.
- Enter and confirm access to your unique email address.
- Each time you sign into a VA website or app, you’ll use the multifactor identification method that you selected to verify you’re you. You can change the multifactor method and choose the one that’s right for you. The most common method is to receive a security code by text message, phone call or through another option that you choose. (This method cannot be used by Veterans in unsupported locations.)
- Enter the security code to access your account.
- To verify one’s identity, a user must provide personal information and upload a photo of his/her government-issued ID or driver’s license.”
If you need help Login.gov offers several support options including an online Help Center with FAQs and step-by-step instructions, as well as a Help ticket submission form to explain your inquiry and a toll-free phone number for human assistance.
After you have created a login.gov account once you sign into a government website (like VA.gov, for example) using login.gov, that website will be added to your personal list of “connected accounts” for quick one click connection from your login.gov page.
Login.gov can be used to securely sign in for many other non-VA government services, too. You can use it to apply for federal jobs on USAJOBS. It provides easy access to the Trusted Traveler Programs at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and for applying for small business loans and disaster assistance at the U.S. Small Business Administration.
Secretary of Veterans Affairs Denis McDonough said: “We want Veterans to easily and securely access the care and benefits they’ve earned, and implementing Login.gov creates a trusted government credential to do that.”