Space A for Disabled VeteransVeterans who are rated by the VA as permanently and totally disabled can travel Space-A (space available) on military aircraft for free. If you qualify you can travel in the continental United States (CONUS) or directly between CONUS and Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam and American Samoa. In order to fly Space-A you must have a DD Form 2765, Defense Department ID Card (Tan),

Space-A (also known as military hops) permits eligible passengers to fill unused seats on Department of Defense owned or controlled aircraft. Be aware, however, that Space-A passengers are boarded only after all the space-required passengers and cargo have been loaded onto the airplane and then available seats are granted on a priority basis. Disabled Veterans and retirees are assigned a travel priority of Category 6, the lowest priority available.  

The dependents of eligible disabled Veterans may also accompany the Veteran on these flights. Space-A passengers can take up to two pieces of luggage at 70 pounds each. Pets are not allowed.

Unlike in the past, you do not have show up in person at the passenger terminal to register for a flight. Air Mobility Command, which runs the Space-A program, lets you register for flights online, and reports that “all Space-A terminals have Facebook pages where you can see what flights are coming up and how many seats are available.”


Sean D. Cuddigan
Connect with me
SSA and VA Disability Attorney in Omaha, Nebraska