If you have end-stage kidney failure—also known as renal failure—and your condition is severe, it is likely that you can qualify for Social Security disability benefits.

The Social Security Administration can provide regular monthly payments to help offset the cost of your medical bills and lost income due to chronic renal disease. However, when you submit your application, you must document the medical details of your qualifying renal disease,

If you have chronic hemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis, Social Security will need an extensive report from a medical provider describing the nature of your chronic renal disease and a history of your dialysis dosage and visits.

Any patient who has undergone kidney transplantation will automatically be considered disabled for the first 12 months following surgery, as there is a greater likelihood of recurrent infection and organ rejection during that time. After the first 12 months of transplantation has passed, Social Security will decide whether you are eligible for continuing disability payments based on how much you are impaired after your surgery. Social Security will evaluate your symptoms, review your lab tests, and study your doctor’s prognosis.

Some people, who don't meet Social Security’s specific medical requirements for disability payments due to kidney disease, can qualify for disability benefits because they have experienced serious complications caused by the disease. For example, some individuals with kidney disease suffer from congestive heart failure, stroke, hypertensive crisis, or other impairments.

If you suffer complications due to renal failure, you should submit medical records that show specifically the nature of the complications that you have suffered as a result of the disease, as well as side effects of the treatment itself.

If Social Security rejects your application for benefits, don’t give up. A rejection doesn’t mean that you do not qualify for disability benefits. Most rejections are based on inadequate documentation of the disability and you have the right to appeal a denial. To learn more, contact us Cuddigan Law for a free evaluation of your case.