It’s possible. Many people are living in constant pain and unable to work because of chronic liver disease. If your father has experienced symptoms for six months of longer, he could be approved for benefits.

Here are a few things you should know about Social Security and liver disease:

  • Symptoms. Chronic liver disease patients can suffer a wide range of symptoms including fatigue, nausea, itching, loss of appetite, or difficulty sleeping. These signs may seem minor at first. However, if left untreated, additional symptoms such as jaundice, edema, mental problems, and enlargement of the liver and spleen may appear.
  • Conditions. There are many different conditions that can result in chronic liver disease. For example, chronic hepatitis, alcoholic liver disease, drug-induced liver disease, Wilson’s disease, cirrhosis, or autoimmune hepatitis can all cause a chronic condition.
  • End-stage liver disease. If your father is suffering from end-stage liver disease (ESLD) or liver cancer, he may be approved quickly. Click on the related link in the box on this page to read how patients with terminal illnesses can get quick approval from the Social Security Administration (SSA).

The first step toward getting disability payments for chronic liver disease is to get a definitive diagnosis from your doctor. Medical tests for liver cell necrosis, inflammation, cirrhosis, or any positive findings that indicate deterioration of the liver can help you prove to the SSA that your father’s liver is dysfunctional. You may have to collect test results from several different hospitals in order to give a full picture of what your father has been suffering. For example, if he was seen at the emergency room at Methodist Hospital for a flare-up, but gets regular treatment at the Nebraska Medical Center, you should include records of both visits so the SSA can see how the disease affects your father over the course of several months.

Want to get help for your father as quickly as possible? Email [email protected] to get all of your questions answered or click the link on this page to order our free informational guide, Why You Should Hire an Attorney to Handle Your Social Security Disability Claim. You  can call our office for no cost evaluation (402) 933-5405.

Sean D. Cuddigan
Connect with me
SSA and VA Disability Attorney in Omaha, Nebraska