Will my Social Security benefits change if I move to a different state?

Moving from Nebraska can affect the amount of your Social Security benefits, depending on which state you are moving to. The Social Security Administration (SSA) pays two different types of benefits to disabled workers: Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI). If you only receive SSDI there is no change in the amount of the benefits you receive if you move from state to state. Since they are both federal programs, you will continue receiving your benefits without having to reapply if you move from one state to another.

However, the amount you receive each month could change due to a number of factors, including:

  • State supplements. Many states provide a supplemental amount to people with limited income and resources who receive SSI. Nebraska pays a very small supplement to the federal SSI amount only about five to ten dollars. However, Arizona, Mississippi, North Dakota, and West Virginia do NOT pay a state supplement for people receiving SSI. If you are moving to one of these states you could see a reduction in your settlement that could be anywhere from $10 to $200.
  • Supplement rules. Even when you are moving to a state that provides SSI supplements, the rules dictating how much a person will receive varies from state to state. You may have to meet different criteria to continue to receive an SSI supplement after you move, or you may not qualify for a supplement at all. The amount of the state supplement ranges depending on the state.
  • Living situation. Your benefits amount is calculated by not only where you live, but also by whom you are living with. If you are moving from an assisted living home into a relative’s house, you will have access to additional resources that can affect your SSI. For instance, your benefits will likely be reduced if your loved ones are paying the costs of your food and shelter.

Should I Notify the Social Security Office Before Moving?

No matter which type of Social Security benefits you receive, you should notify the SSA of any change in address as soon as possible. If you receive SSI benefits, you are responsible for notifying SSA of a change in your living situation within 10 days after you have moved. If you fail to report these changes, you may face penalties, underpayments, or be forced to return some of your benefits if you receive a wrongful overpayment. Learn more about the rules and regulations of Social Security disability in our FREE book, Why You Should Hire an Attorney to Handle Your Social Security Disability Claim.


Sean D. Cuddigan
SSA and VA Disability Attorney in Omaha, Nebraska