Yes, but there are certains conditions you must meet to receive widow's benefits or widower's benefits. You must prove your disability started while you were age 50 to 59 and your disability must have started within seven years of the latest of the following dates:  
•The month your spouse died; or
•The last month you were entitled to mother's or father's benefits on your spouse's record; or
•The month your previous entitlement to disabled widow or widower's benefits ended because your disability ended.

Once you turn age 60, you can collect under your deceased spouse's Social Security number and you do not need to prove disability.These benefits are known as survivor benefits.

Sean D. Cuddigan
Connect with me
SSA and VA Disability Attorney in Omaha, Nebraska